In January 2009, hmv Canada and the Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH) formed a partnership to increase public awareness and education about mental health and addiction issues.
As Canada’s leading retail specialist of entertainment products, hmv is in a unique position to leverage its accessibility, particularly with younger consumers. hmv’s willingness to speak out on this topic will hopefully be a catalyst to connect individuals with information and encourage them to seek resources available to support them.
CAMH, one of North America’s leading mental health & addiction organizations, is dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by these issues by providing care, research & education.
It may surprise you to know that:
- Mental illness affects 1 in 5 Canadians
- 18-22% of young Canadians are impacted by mental health related issues
- Substance abuse and mental illness are co-related
- Suicide is the 2nd highest cause of death of people aged 10 to 24
- People between the ages of 15 to 24 are least likely to seek assistance
These statistics are at the heart of this initiative to find ways and means through information and education to support individuals to feel confident that it is okay to seek assistance when they need it. After all, with virtually any other illness, we actively seek assistance and the same should be true for issues involving addiction and mental health.
hmv Donates to CAMH’s Youth Crisis Intervention Team 2013
Click here for details!